Monday, December 2, 2013

tis the season

Not to brag or anything, but my family's Christmas tree is the best. Forget those silly store-bought matchy-matchy trees, I'm looking for some serious family bonding and memories. In my family we buy Christmas ornaments as souvenirs when we're on vacation and out and about in the world. I might love decorating the Christmas tree more than I love Christmas itself. We've got it down to a science.

As a family, we pop on some Christmas tunes as my brother lights the tree and I dance around behind him and untangle lights. Then we all put on some other cute but less meaningful decorations that we've collected over the years. Finally, we carefully unpack our treasures. Being that we only see these beauties for about a month out of the year, each unwrapping is a surprise. This provides a perfect opportunity to reminisce about our favorite vacation places and spaces. And the result is this perfectly funky and beautiful Christmas tree that is a perfect representation of my perfect family.


Here are a few of my favorites.

A little teapot from the Charleston Tea Plantation (the only tea plantation in the United States).

Some Frank Lloyd Wright art from Falling Water.

Representing Route 66!

My brother and I, d'awww.

Horse hair pottery ornament from an area near the Grand Canyon.

Hi, we're the Nars, and we like to put birds on things!

Put a bird on it!

A delicately carved snowflake from the Warther Carving Museum.

And finally, we top off the night with our favorite Christmas diddly.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment