Friday, November 8, 2013

sweetie sweets

With the semester just over halfway over, the workload is starting to hit me hard. In an attempt to get my stress levels under control, I've been doing quite a bit of baking lately.

Baking is such a therapuetic experience for me. Something about watching all these small components come together to create something entirely new just fascinates me. Being able to share these delicious treats with people I enjoy also improves my mood greatly.


pumpkin whoopie pies
Delicious, cakey cookies with cream cheese frosting sandwiched between. I found this delicious recipe on She Makes A Home. But I will admit, I cheated and did not make my own cream cheese frosting. Hey, give me a break. I'm a college student, not Superwoman.

ingredients
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup canned pumpkin puree 
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice 
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1-2/3 cups flour
container of cream cheese frosting

directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Beat melted butter, eggs, brown sugar and granulated sugar in a bowl.
3. Once smooth, add pumpkin puree.
4. Then add baking powder, baking soda, spices, salt and vanilla.
5. Once completely mixed, add flour 1/2 cup at a time using a spatula.
6. Grease baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
7. Scoop 12 heaping tablespoons of batter onto the baking sheets. 
8. Bake for 10-13 minutes, until they spring back when pushed lightly with a spoon or fork.
9. Allow cookie/cakes to cool, then spread frosting on flattened side and smush another cookie to make a sandwich.



brigadeiro

As promised, here is the recipe for this sinfully decadent and chocolately Brazilian dessert.

ingredients
14.5 oz can condensed milk
2 tbs butter
4 tbs cocoa powder

directions
1. Put the ingredients in a small saucepan.
2. Scrape the spoon across the bottom of the pan and take note of the consistency.
3.Turn heat on low. Stir constantly.
4. Consistency will thin, then thicken. When it reaches the point of being slightly thicker than it was at the beginning, it's done! 
5. Allow it to cool, then dig in. Try not to eat too much at once.

DISCLAIMER: I've always used Brazilian condensed milk, but I'm assuming it will be just as delicious with American condensed milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment