Thursday, March 29, 2012

preschool post

Since school is taking over my life, it's all I really have to talk about right now.

1

I made this pea activity to go with this pea book. No, the Harry Potter pillow case does not have anything to do with the activity. My lesson was to read the book then place peas with capital letters on them face down on the table then have students choose one pea, identify the letter and the sound it makes. I also flipped the peas over and had each student choose the letter that their name starts with. 

For some reason I felt inspired to go all out on this project. In addition to making capital letter peas, I also made lower case letters in case I would ever want to do an uppercase/lowercase matching game along with a pea pod that I could write words on for the purpose of sounding out or identifying letters or whatever I may choose.
Also, I laminated everything. That's impressive.

2

I have been assigned a child at the preschool I'm placed at to do assessments with and create a portfolio for. When I ask him to do activities with me he is often very reluctant to participate and as with most preschoolers he will not sit still for more than five minutes.

Today, he approached me with "The Jungle Book" and asked me to read it to him. Now, this is a very detailed story with probably about thirty pages and quite a bit of text on each page. More of a first or second grade reading level I would say. He sat with me for fifteen minutes and was totally engaged the entire time. Granted, I did shorten the story a little by summarizing what was on each page, but we got through almost the entire book. We only stopped because it was circle time. He actually asked if we could finish the story another time. Made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment