Monday, October 7, 2013

recycling

I realize that between this post and the last I am going to appear to be an alcoholic. Disclaimer: these empty beer glasses were solely a product of me asking friends to donate their beer bottles to my crafting life. I, for one, am not much of a drinker. Especially when it comes to beer.

BYOBBG

(bring your own beer bottle glasses)


ingredients
  • glass beer/soda bottle
  • yarn
  • acetone nail polish remover
  • lighter/matches/two sticks rubbed together
  • cold water
  • sand paper

Take some yarn and wrap it a couple times around the bottle. 
Take the yarn off and soak it in some acetone nail polish remover for a few seconds. 
Pull the yarn out and slide it back on the bottle. Try to make it in as straight of a line as possible to avoid cracking in later steps.


Light that sucker on fire! Rotate the bottle slowly so the flame hits every portion of the bottle. Continue doing this until the flame starts to sputter and go out. Then quickly dunk it in a bowl (or sink) full of cold water. You'll hear it crack, and then you'll have this lovely number.


It's done!
Just kidding. Don't hurt yourself.
Take some sand paper and sand the crap out of that edge. I may have gone overboard because I was terrified of hurting someone's lip.

Some glamour shots:



Oo la la!

It took me three tries to get it right so don't get frustrated if it doesn't go as planned initially. Also you may want to use a bottle that you don't love a whole lot as a test round.

No comments:

Post a Comment