Monday, July 23, 2012

pretending i can cook

I've been snacking on granola a lot at work lately all like "oh, I'm so healthy and fit." Then I checked the nutrition facts and realized I was entirely wrong. So I cooked up this bad boy.


Boom. Healthy granola. I went off of this recipe, but I changed it entirely. Here's my super easy granola recipe.

Ingredients
1 very ripe banana, mashed
1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
1 teaspoon honey
pinch of sea salt
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of cinnamon
2 cups rolled oats (I used quick cooking, but you could use either)
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1/4 cup raisins

Method
Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees F
Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper
Combine oats and chopped almonds
Combine banana, coconut oil, honey, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
Combine dry and wet ingredients
Spread mixture on baking sheet in a thin layer
Bake about 40-45 minutes stirring about every 10 minutes
Watch very carefully towards end of time to be sure granola does not burn
Let cool and add raisins


I was upset when it first came out of the oven because it was chewy, but as it cools it gets crunchy. It's not super sweet, but it's enough for a low-sugar substitute.


I also have finally found a way to make coffee that I like at home! Dunkin Donuts makes my favorite coffee on this Earth, but I'm broke so I don't want to have to buy it every day. My mother and I discovered that the secret to making fake Dunkin Donuts coffee is liquid sugar. Equal parts water and sugar, boil it and let it dissolve and it turns into a syrup-like substance that sweetens coffee just enough when you throw a splash into a cup of coffee, with a bunch of half and half as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment